The skin under your eyes tends to be much more sensitive than the surrounding areas. This makes it prone to issues like wrinkling, sagging and discoloration among others. This area is where aging tends to show earliest and that’s why you need to really take care of it.
If you want to maintain your youthful glow and complexion, you need to start using an under eye serum on the daily. This is of course easier said than done because when you start searching for products, you will find a lot of options out there. It can be super tough to pick just one and stick to it, especially if you have specific demands.
There are a lot of under eye serums that deal with wrinkles. The trick is to understand which one will offer you the perfect cocktail of ingredients that will suit your skin and give you the benefits you need. Keep reading to find out which ingredients you need to look for in the perfect under eye serum.
These are some of the main components of a good under eye serum, especially one that deals with signs of aging such as wrinkles and lines.
This acid is found naturally in the skin and is actually a form of sugar. It draws in and retains moisture, helping to plump the skin and keep it hydrated for longer. Often times, under eye wrinkles can mean that your under eye area has been dehydrated for a long time. This area benefits from regular massage and products that boost moisture retention. If you use products with hyaluronic acid, you will notice a distinct change in your under eye area and signs of aging will begin to recede.
All forms of peptides, such as copper, polypeptides and oligopeptides penetrate the skin and boost collagen production. These peptides work by holding tissue and cells together, making wrinkles look less prominent over time. Plus, they aid in hyaluronic acid production, meaning you will suffer less dehydration, thereby making your under eye area look plumper and less wrinkled.
This is a Vitamin A derivative that stimulates both collagen and cell production. These help in reducing all signs of aging. This is why most under eye creams and serums contain retinol. A lower concentration of retinol is recommended because this is a pretty strong ingredient.
Regardless of which product you’re using, you should be applying sunscreen at all times. If you don’t protect your skin from sun damage, UV rays will break down all the collagen and your skin will start to show immediate signs of aging.
All kinds of strong antioxidants, such as Vitamins C, E, ferulic acid and berry extracts are great for your skin. They reduce all the stress your skin undergoes by pollutants and UV rays. They can also drastically reduce the effect of wrinkles and fine lines.
Which Cream is Right For You?
Now that you’ve understood what kinds of ingredients should go into your ideal under eye cream, here are some great options that you can use.
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Eye Gel Cream: this is a super hydrating cream that will treat your under eyes with gentle moisture. It contains a good amount of hyaluronic acid which will plump your skin and penetrate deep layers.
- SkinCeuticals AGE Eye Complex: this brand has been around for a while and is one of the most trusted ones in skin case. The eye cream is no exception. It helps reduce wrinkles and fine lines through a fine blend of peptides, sunscreen and antioxidants.
- RoC Retinol Correxion Eye Cream: if you have a lot of wrinkles under your eyes, this cream is made for you. It contains a good dose of retinol which will help minimize dark circles, reduce puffiness and will work wonders on wrinkles and lines.
- OLE Henriksen Banana Bright Eye Cream: this eye cream packs a lot of Vitamin C, making it an ideal cream for anyone who wants brighter under eyes. It also has collagen and works to plump and hydrate your under eye area.
- Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Eye Cream: this unique formula contains retinol which helps reduce wrinkles and speeds up cell production in your skin. It also works effectively on crow’s feet and other signs of puffiness and aging.
- Olay Eyes Brightening Eye Cream: when you buy this cream, you will get lots of Vitamin C and niacinamide, making it an overall winner for under eye problems. It also has light reflective problems which means your skin will look brighter in general. And the best part? You’ll only need one dot of this miracle cream!
- SkinCeuticals Physical Eye UV Defense SPF 50: surprisingly, SPF is hard to find in under eye creams, even though it’s an extremely important ingredient. This cream contains plenty of SPF, meaning it takes care of your under eyes and also adds a brightening factor
- Fresh Black Tea Age-Delay Eye Concentrate: if you’re prone to lots of dryness in your under-eye area, you will love this cream. It has plenty of antioxidants that work hard to combat puffiness, wrinkles, lines and other textured skin. Your skin will feel nourished and hydrated throughout the night.
- Supergoop! Advanced Anti-Aging Eye Cream SPF 37: this miraculous cream is packed with oat peptides, SPF and has brightening properties. It will work to erase dark circles and fine lines and will protect your eye area properly.
- Kiehl’s Facial Fuel Eye De-Puffer: this cream is perfect for people who suffer from under eye bags and puffiness. It has caffeine which works to constrict blood vessels, removing extra fluid and providing hydration.
- EltaMD Renew Eye Gel: if you want a cream that works double duty to fight inflammation and fine lines, this is the one you should pick. It packs niacinamide and other essential antioxidants and can actually be used anywhere on your face depending on where you feel puffiness or see fine lines
- NEOCUTIS Lumiere Bio-Restorative Eye Cream: this cream contains hydration boosting hyaluronic acid and caffeine which fights puffiness. Overall, it will plump your skin and make it softer and hydrated to the touch
- Aveeno Absolutely Ageless Eye Cream: if you have loose skin under your eyes, you needn’t look for another cream. This one contains antioxidants and vitamins that increase the production of elastin in your skin, making it easier for it to bounce back into shape
- First Aid Beauty Eye Duty Triple Remedy AM Gel Cream: a lot of eye creams are supposed to be used at night because they’re rich and creamy. However, this cream can be used throughout the day because it’s lightweight and easily absorbed. It has a lot of peptides and plant extracts so your skin will be left feeling smooth and soft all day
- Peter Thomas Roth Potent-C Power Eye Cream: this cream has a lot of Vitamin C, meaning it works to brighten and smoothen your skin at the same time. It also has ferulic acid which means the Vitamin C is more effective when applied. It also protects your delicate under eye area from harmful radicals and leaves it feeling soft and nourished.
How To Know Which Cream To Use
When you get a new eye cream, the first thing you should do is a patch test. Always take a pea sized amount and smooth it into your under eye area gently. Keep checking on the area to see if your skin reacts negatively with the cream. Never tug or pull your skin when you apply the cream. Rather, use a patting motion to apply the product.
And remember, the right cream will make you feel a difference but only if you stay consistent with your application. Apply the cream everyday and night and you will begin to notice improvements under your eyes.